24 June 2009

between rests

Getting a little exhausted after all of the constant travelling every day. I've been spending a bit more time taking it easy instead of trying to see each and every street corner. However, a couple nights ago Joel and I went out on the longest night of the year to watch the sun not set.

This was at about 12:30 am.


This is the Peter & Paul Fortress from across the Neva, at the same time.



This entire week has been 70-80 degrees F, cloudless, beautiful. You'd think it would be the perfect time to run around the city as much as possible, but it's actually been even better for finding little nooks to people-watch and rest my feet.

I've fallen in love with the Vasiliostrovskaya metro station, which is the only other one on our island. Right outside is a pedestrian-only street with good cafes and shopping, and a generally chill attitude. It doesn't feel as hectic as Nevsky or the other busy metro stations, and it's a bit more welcoming. I found a cafe with good coffee (!) and perfect outside seating for people-watching. I really believe Russia has some of the most entertaining people for this activity.

I also bought a copy of The Master and Margarita (in English) and spent some time here reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment