16 June 2009

peter the green



For such a rapidly growing metropolis of a city, St. Petersburg really retains its charm with extensive green space scattered liberally between the exhaust-filled streets.

This weekend I went with Joel and his friend Jordan (who's been studying/working here since March) to the "Central Park of Culture and Relaxation" which is a separate island accessible only to pedestrians. We spent a great afternoon walking between the many rollerbladers and baby strollers, feeling as if were were miles away from the city. Really only a short metro ride.

The next day I continued my outdoor theme (you simply cannot spend a sunny day here inside, as they're so rare) and headed to the State Botanical Gardens. It's really just a huuuge overgrown park with great paths for wandering and purposely getting lost. This little path leads up to a hidden gazebo which overlooks a quiet pond.

I wrote my postcards (I hope you all get them) on a bench which I shared with this couple. They must have spent over an hour here, chatting some, enjoying each other's company, eating lunch, and with plenty of liquor for them both...

I'd like to be this content when I'm their age.

My favorite part of the Gardens:

Some run-down building which only held fallen walls and rubble open to the sky. The paths around it hadn't been used in ages, and I felt as if I had stepped back in time. The color painted on the stone had aged beautifully. Wish I could have stayed for much longer.

I can see why this city is home to nearly 5 million people. Even if the majority of the population lives in extremely small apartments (by American standards), there are plenty of ways to keep your fresh air quota at a reasonable level.

1 comment:

  1. Are you able to call home at all while you're there? And your laptop, did you have to buy anything to let it charge over there? because I know that sometimes, if you plug an American appliance in a european socket, a fireworks show can start.

    ReplyDelete